Hidden Wachau Valley Wine Tour by Van from Vienna
The Danube Valley between Krems and Melk - known as the Wachau - is as scenic and romantic as Austria gets: famous white wines, castle ruins, charming towns surrounded by steep vineyards and last but not least, the glorious Melk Abbey.
On this day trip, you will cover the most scenic 40 Kilometers of the Wachau Valley while visiting exclusive wineries. Later you’ll end the day with a boat cruise on the Danube and a brief stop at Melk Abbey for photos.
The tour van accommodates no more than seven people and can maneuver the narrow village roads that the larger tour buses simply cannot. Accompanied by your expert driver/guide, you’ll discover the best parts of the Wachau Valley while learning about winemaking and the fascinating history and culture of the region.
This small group experience is fun and gives you an “up close and personal” view of winemaking in Austria’s number one white wine region. If you love wine and off-the-beaten-path regional beauty, this tour is for you.
Rates - including tax
(Ages 11 and Under):
Tour / Activity Details
48 Hours Minimum Advance Booking Required. Maximum 8 persons per order. Tour does not include hotel pickup; you may arrange for hotel pick-up when you call to reconfirm your reservation (approximately 30 Euros per person - subject to change - payable on the day of the tour) or you can check in at the centrally-located tour office in Vienna (details on your E-Ticket). Rates are per person in US dollars. Please order online or call us in the USA at 212-852-4822 to order or for more information.
There is a $6.95 USD processing fee per order. This is a flat fee regardless of the number of tickets or tours purchased on an order. There is a service charge per ticket. This charge will be reflected on your summary before you checkout. The total shown at checkout includes any fuel surcharges, service charges and tax. There are no additional charges, unless otherwise specified.
Tour / Activity Policies
Cancellation Policy: There are no refunds. All sales are final.
Change Fee Policy: If changes are allowed on a tour or activity, a $20.00 per reservation change fee will be applied for any change to a reservation. Please note that some tours and activities do not allow any changes. Date changes can only be made only if we can confirm availability on the new date. While we cannot guarantee any changes can be made, all change requests must be submitted a minimum of 24 hours prior to the tour departure and must be handled on an individual basis through our Reservations Center.
Tour / Activity Description
COVID-19 Protocols Updates
- The so-called "3-G" rule is in effect for visitors from all countries. In order to travel to Austria without quarantine requiremenets, you must provide either a valid proof of vaccination, a negative Covid test or proof of recovery from Covid. Individuals without any of those three items are allowed to enter Austria but are required to register upon entry (pre-travel clearance) and quarantine for 10 days. A negative test result ends the quarantine.
- Wearing an FFP2 face mask is MANDATORY in all public indoor areas in Austria, including public transportation.
- Specifically for Vienna, children from the age of 6 require an entry test. For children aged 6-11, a PCR-test no older than 72 hours or an antigen test no older than 48 hours is valid as an entry test. For children aged 12-15 (who are not vaccinated/recovered), a PCR test no older than 48 hours is valid as an entry test. The "Holiday-Ninja-Passport" is not accepted in Vienna. Only the specified testing requirements are valid.
- The town of Dürnstein, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Wine tastings in traditional and local family-owned taverns (minimum age is 18 to drink alcoholic beverages)
- Boat cruise along the Danube River from Spitz to Melk
- Comfortable and luxurious Mercedes van
- Full-day accompaniment by an expert driver/guide
- Wine tastings at wineries (minimum 2 tastings for those ages 18+)
- Transport in a 8-seater Mercedes van to and from the Wachau
- Danube boat cruise from Spitz to Melk (mid-April through October)
- Guided tour of famous Melk Abbey
- Lunch and lunch drinks
- Gratuities for your driver/guide
- Travel to the Wachau by Mercedes van
- Wine tasting in Durnstein
- Free time in Durnstein
- Stop in Weissenkirchen
- Lunch in Weissenkirchen at traditional family-owned wine tavern (not included in tour price)
- Travel to Spitz for Wine tasting
- Danube boat cruise from Spitz to Melk (mid April through October) or Guided tour of famous Melk Abbey (early to mid April)
- Photo stop at Melk
What to Bring/Wear
- Camera (don’t forget to charge your battery!)
- Dress comfortably...warm clothing in case of cold weather - the wine cave is cold even in summer
- Good running or hiking boots if you want to walk to the top of the famous ruins of Durnstein
- Good walking shoes for dirt roads and uneven paths
- Water – and there will be opportunities along the way to refill or purchase bottles of water
- Maximum 8 persons per order.
- This tour operates rain or shine.
- Your guide will have rain ponchos for sale if needed. If you do not use your poncho, your guide will happily buy the poncho back from you.
48 Hours Minimum Advance Booking Required. Tour does not include hotel pickup; you may arrange for hotel pick-up when you call to reconfirm your reservation (approximately 30 Euros per person - subject to change - payable on the day of the tour) or you can check in at the centrally-located tour office in Vienna (details on your E-Ticket). Rates are per person in US dollars. Please order online or call us in the USA at 212-852-4822 to order or for more information.